Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation Scholarship 2023
Applications for the 2023 Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation Scholarship are now available for deserving seniors attending a Pittsburgh Public School or select high schools within Allegheny County.
Each scholarship is valued at $3,000 for the student’s first year of college; and an additional $2,000 will be awarded for the student’s second year of college if a 3.0 GPA is maintained and a minimum of 24 credit hours are earned.
Scholarship checks will be made payable to the institution the student will attend.
Please read the following Criteria and Instructions carefully and confirm that your school meets the criteria to receive a Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation Scholarship before completing the application.
Please contact the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation at 412-255-1952 with any questions regarding the Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation Scholarship Program.
NOTE: All completed applications, reference letters, transcripts must be received by Monday, June 19, 2023.
To be eligible for consideration, the nominee shall have:
• Excelled academically with an overall minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 (based on a maximum of 4.0) or its equivalent. The student shall be evaluated based upon all academic work completed through the first term of his/her senior year of high school.
• Performed with distinction in terms of leadership and character, serving as an example to fellow students as a participant in community, charity and school activities. The amount of participation (including school activities, athletics, community service and employment) shall be weighted at least equally with the degree of academic performance.
• Signified the intention to continue academic work beyond the high school level.
• Conducted him/herself in a manner that has brought credit to the student and their institution. Attended a Pittsburgh Public high school or Allegheny County high school which provides substantial aid to students for reduced-cost or free lunch programs per the National School Lunch Program (NSLP) administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education Division of Food and Nutrition. Please review the list on the following page to confirm that your school is eligible before completing this application.
• Each candidate must include at least three (3) letters of recommendation from non-family members – specifically from individuals who can attest to your work in school, community or charities.
• Each candidate must also submit their transcripts electronically through this application to be considered.
• No handwritten applications that are mailed will be accepted. All applications must be submitted through this platform only.
The schools listed below are Pittsburgh Public high schools or Allegheny County high schools which provide substantial aid to students for reduced-cost or free lunch programs per National School Lunch Program (NSLP) administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education Division of Food and Nutrition.
Only schools indicated on the list below are eligible to receive a Pittsburgh Penguins Foundation Scholarship:
• Allegheny Valley School District
• Brentwood Borough School District
• Carlynton School District
• City Charter High School
• Clairton School District
• Cornell School District
• East Allegheny School District
• Gateway School District
• Highlands School District
• McKeesport Area School District
• Northgate School District
• Penn Hills School District
• Pittsburgh Allderdice High School
• Pittsburgh Brashear High School
• Pittsburgh Carrick High School
• Pittsburgh Creative and Performing Arts (CAPA)
• Pittsburgh Milliones
• Pittsburgh Obama
• Pittsburgh Oliver Citywide Academy
• Pittsburgh Perry High School
• Pittsburgh Science & Technology Academy
• Pittsburgh Westinghouse/Wilkinsburg
• Propel Andrew Street High School
• Propel Braddock Hills High School
• Propel Montour High School
• South Allegheny School District
• Steel Valley School District
• Sto-Rox School District
• Urban Pathways Charter School
• West Mifflin Area School District
• Woodland Hills School District