Pittsburgh Penguins Alumni Association Scholarship 2023
The Pittsburgh Penguins Alumni Association will award its annual scholarship valued at $5,000 to a high school senior who has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement, good citizenship, school and community involvement, and who has shown an intense love for the game of hockey personified by on-ice hustle, achievement beyond his/her talent level, leadership, sportsmanship and teamwork.
The Association encourages students to closely review the criteria and nomination forms included in this packet before determining whether to apply. When applying, please distribute the appropriate forms to your school’s head hockey coach and academic advisor.
Application, reference letters, and transcripts must be submitted no later than Monday, June 19, 2023.
Scholarship checks will be made payable to the institution the student will attend.
The Penguins Alumni Association is proud to offer this annual scholarship to help deserving student-athletes continue their hockey and academic careers.
To be eligible for consideration, the nominee shall have:
• Excelled academically with an overall minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.20 (based on a maximum of 4.0) or its equivalent. A student shall be nominated in the academic year in which he/she successfully completes the final season of eligibility.
• The student shall be evaluated based upon all academic work completed through the first term in which the final season of eligibility concludes.
• Performed with distinction in terms of leadership, realizing potential, character and positive attitude as a member of the hockey team. The degree of the student’s athletic achievement shall be weighed at least equally with the degree of academic performance.
• Signified the intention to continue academic work beyond the high school or prep school level.
• Conducted himself/herself, both on and off the ice, in a manner that has brought credit to the student and his/her institution.
• After satisfying the above requirements, consideration shall be given to participation in school activities, other than academic and athletic, in which the student has had the opportunity to demonstrate qualities of leadership and serve as an example to fellow students. Consideration will also be given to community and charitable endeavors.
There are six items to be completed:
1. The application to be completed by the student nominee; application must be submitted through this platform.
2. The nomination and endorsement form to be completed and signed by the faculty athletic representative or the director of athletics.
3. An evaluation form to be completed and signed by the high school head hockey coach. Click here for the form.
4. An endorsement to be completed and signed by the applicant’s academic advisor.
5. A transcript of the student’s grades for grades 10-11-12.
6. Two (2) letters of recommendation (from a non-family member) who is over 21 years of age and can attest to your work in school, with your hockey program, community or charities.